Fire Alarm Activation
Monday, September 27, 2021
At 9:46am on Monday, September 27, 2021, the Ocean Pines Vol. Fire Department was alerted for a Fire Alarm Activation; Dispatch advised the caller heard a smoke detector going off through their home security camera. 1100 Paramedic 1 arrived on scene first and advised they heard an audible alarm; however, it was not coming from the caller's house. After following the sound, a discarded smoke detector was discovered alerting in a neighbor's trash can. The crew from Engine 1102 checked on the neighbors and they confirmed that they placed the detector in the trash because it was going off.
While we are HUGE advocates for replacing old/outdated or damaged detectors with new models, there is still a proper way to dispose of them. First Alert advises that "you can dispose of photoelectric alarms in regular household waste AFTER the batteries are removed, or preferably recycled."
Learn more about: First Alert Smoke and CO Alarm Disposal / Recycling
Units on Scene: 1100 A1, Engines 1101 & 1102, FP 11